One way of explaining inconsistencies in human belief and behaviour is to model us as having multiple minds which rarely interact directly. Each set of views and pattern of thinking are brought to the fore by different kinds of questions and different ways of framing these questions. Here is a detailed post on the idea of near-far bias. Because I refer to near-far bias so often, I thought it was worth creating a post with a simple picture to refer to showing the traits which prime either way of thinking. It is from Robin Hanson’s new presentation We Don’t Donate to the Future: Do We Care.
- The lives you could have saved
- Is the future communist?
- Should you floss? A cost-benefit analysis
- Why shouldn't we ration things with queues?
- How feasible is a 'charter city of refugees' in Australia?
- Down with housework
- How am I most likely to die as a young man?
- The principle of 'altruistic arbitrage'
Hi! I am a young Australian man ostensibly interested in the truth and maximising the total number of preferences that are ever satisfied, weighted by their intensity. I also enjoy reading and writing about the topics listed above. If you share my interests, friend me on , , or or subscribe to my RSS feed .
All opinions expressed here are at most mine alone, and have nothing to do with any past, present, future or far future employers.
Some popular posts:
The lives you could have saved
How feasible is a ‘charter city of refugees’ in Australia?
NEWS FLASH: multiverse theory proven right
Choosing the best status games for society
Eat cows to save mice? Hold your horses!
Beeminding your way to greatness
Should you floss: a cost benefit analysis
What should we do about wilderness?
- We need laws to force internet companies to delete personal data after, e.g. 10 years, unless you request otherwise. idlewords.com/bt14.htm 4 hours ago
- Sure he was in the Mafia, but he ate really healthy. 7 hours ago
- Multiple Lovers, Without Jealousy theatlantic.com/features/archi… 19 hours ago
- In my experience Americans have unparalleled access to cheap, healthy food and gyms. No excuses. 19 hours ago
- The Kremlin’s Machiavelli has led Russia to disaster ft.com/cms/s/0/cc3ca7… 19 hours ago
- When will America be free of the scourge of children who want to live here? At long last,@have you orphans no sense of decency? 1 day ago