One way of explaining inconsistencies in human belief and behaviour is to model us as having multiple minds which rarely interact directly. Each set of views and pattern of thinking are brought to the fore by different kinds of questions and different ways of framing these questions. Here is a detailed post on the idea of near-far bias. Because I refer to near-far bias so often, I thought it was worth creating a post with a simple picture to refer to showing the traits which prime either way of thinking. It is from Robin Hanson’s new presentation We Don’t Donate to the Future: Do We Care.
Hi! I am a young Australian man ostensibly interested in the truth and maximising the total number of preferences that are ever satisfied, weighted by their intensity. I also enjoy reading and writing about the topics listed above. If you share my interests, friend me on , , or or subscribe to my RSS feed .
All opinions expressed here are at most mine alone, and have nothing to do with any past, present, future or far future employers.
Some popular posts:
The lives you could have saved
How feasible is a ‘charter city of refugees’ in Australia?
NEWS FLASH: multiverse theory proven right
Choosing the best status games for society
Eat cows to save mice? Hold your horses!
Beeminding your way to greatness
Should you floss: a cost benefit analysis
What should we do about wilderness?
- The [Research Ethics Review Board] horror show, by @MarkARKleiman samefacts.com/2009/05/everyt… 15 hours ago
- RT @sentientist: .@okcupid's new pitch to get paying A-list members: "we won't experiment on you!" 16 hours ago
- "[Research ethics] seem a good example of concern signaling leading to over-reaction and over-regulation" overcomingbias.com/2011/03/agains… 20 hours ago
- New Kindle Helps Readers Show Off By Shouting Title Of Book Loudly And Repeatedly theonion.com/video/new-kind… 22 hours ago
- "We’re looking for some talented research managers for positions open in Kenya, Rwanda-Uganda, Ghana, Bangladesh,... fb.me/2jAPlb8nP 23 hours ago
- Research Manager Positions (Various Locations) | IPA fb.me/1u1mc6oid 23 hours ago